Have you noticed that nearly every house you go into has some type of filter in their kitchen for drinking water? Whether it is the refillable pitcher, built-in refrigerator filter, or externally attached to the sink faucet, it seems that clean water is weighing heavily on our minds and wallets. Since the human body consists of up to 60% water, it stands to good reason that we want to ensure our families and friends have access to the purest H2O available.
Many people erroneously assume all filters are created equal in regards to what is removed from the water. The sad reality is that price point doesn’t necessarily determine quality and what you don’t know can hurt you! Unfortunately, most companies spend more on marketing than quality materials – in other words, they are buying your trust with flashy promises and not providing you with the healthiest product. It is especially revealing when you follow the money and find that the companies producing many filters are also the same companies who are dumping pollutants into the waterways they are now offering to filter.
One of the most toxic substances to the human body found in drinking water is fluoride. While this element is found naturally in some regions in the form of calcium fluoride, an industrial by-product additive (sodium fluoride) is added to water throughout most of the United States. Sodium fluoride has been shown to be up to 85x more toxic than the naturally occurring calcium fluoride.
Do you know what your fluoridated toothpaste and rat poison have in common? Check the active ingredient. It is important to end the myth that has led to higher profit margins with severe health consequences: fluoride is NOT beneficial to your body. In fact, in 1960 under oath, the original researcher who claimed fluoride’s health benefits admitted that his original data was invalid. However, as with many truths that have the ability to destroy profits, it was swept under the rug as the myth lived on through national association endorsements and the continued pollution of our water supplies and bodies. Sadly, many well-meaning professionals have been perpetuating the fluoride myth and it has left most consumers confused as to who and what to believe. As always, I encourage you to study the science behind it; in other words, go straight to chemistry on this one and check out international independent studies that have nothing to gain from telling you the truth.
Let’s get some science out of the way first. Fluoride functions in the body by attaching to calcium within the body. It is not picky as to which calcium it attaches to, this means it affects all bodily systems. If it attaches to blood calcium, the heart suffers and heart attacks have been reported. If it attaches within the bones, they become brittle and increase chances of fractures and breaks. If it attaches to the teeth, they will be superficially rigid on the outer layer whilst the internal structure suffers. There is a great deal of evidence supporting the gastrointestinal irritations caused by fluoridated water, including the chemistry fact that fluoride transforms into highly toxic hydrofluoric acid (the most corrosive known substance) within the stomach. It has also been shown to cause cancer in lab animals with low exposure over time (i.e. at the levels currently used for fluoridation of water supplies).
Now that you know that your body doesn’t benefit from fluoride, how do you remove it from your drinking water? There are four known options for fluoride removal:activated alumina, bone char, distillation, or reverse osmosis. Alumina causes concern because it leaves aluminum in treated water, which has shown it’s own negative health effects. Reverse osmosis removes up to 90% of fluoride, but causes concern over acidifying the water and removing beneficial minerals. Distillation (not to be confused with boiling water which increases fluoride concentration), also leaves the water without minerals. Bone char offers removal of up to 90% of fluoride and is an organic medium, however there are vegan concerns for some and it takes the longest period of time for filtration. Many of these filtration methods require a large investment or whole house water filtration system.
I hate bottled water, I think it’s wasteful and for some reason even though the bottle says “refreshing” it ends up tasting weird and gross. Also, there have been studies proving that bottled water is actually just as bad for you as tap water! If you can get E.Coli from water, then I think there’s an issue. However, tap water is equally disgusting, so what’s the solution? A water filtration system! There are many water filtration systems, so are there ones that are better than the others? I own a Brita, so I put my hypothesis to the test with this Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher!
This Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher says that unlike other water filtration systems it removes contaminants instead of just reducing them. My Brita is a 40 gallon, so it is Pitcher B. The Clearly Filtered eliminates a lot more than any other pitcher, so what does that do for taste?
What I decided to do was a blind test. I filled both containers and then refrigerated them for the exact same amount of time. I had my mom, and dad all try two glasses of water. Glass A and glass B. They all noticed a difference in the glasses. One glass of water tasted crisper than the other, just slightly more refreshing. What glass did they choose? Glass A which was the Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher.
With the average person drinking 4 gallons of water per week, this filter will last up to 50 weeks (approx. 1 year) for a single user. This is a great value for 1 year of clean water for less than what most people spend on television for a month! Consumers can easily purify tap water by pouring it in the Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher.
The purifier consists of two sections, the area above and below the filter. The section above the filter is where you fill the pitcher with water while the section below is where you store the water.
What are Consumers Saying About the Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher?
- “The self-opening and closing lid works well. You never have to remove the lid or flip it up.”
- “There are many things to like about this pitcher, like being BPA free, easy to fill, easy to pour, and holding a lot of water. I did a LOT of research before buying a water filter and was not going to buy another Brita (charcoal every time in the water and it is not BPA free).”
- “There has been no charcoal in my water with this pitcher and I like almost everything about it.”
- Customers love the extra large size of this pitcher, making it great for the whole family to use.
- Customers also applaud the rigorous standards that the Clearly Filtered Water Pitcher adheres to, making it one of the most trusted water purifiers in the industry.
Water purifier is necessary nowadays especially if you use underground water for drinking as these can turn into contaminants. Before you start looking for a water purifier you should also keep some points about water in mind:
- Water should deliver essential nutrients and minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium and trace elements needed to live.
- Water helps in balancing out the acidic state of the body by being alkaline. Acidic condition can cause chronic diseases such as cancer, arthritis, diabetes and osteoporosis.
- Water should have antioxidant properties. Oxidization makes cell breakdown faster, water with no impurities can prevent it.
- There can be as high as 2000 contaminants in water, you should strive to remove these from your drinking water.
Top 10 Benefits of Water Filtration:
- Water filters significantly improve the taste and smell of your drinking water by removing unwanted chlorine as well as bacterial contaminants.
- Filters will remove lead from your drinking water just prior to consumption, thereby preventing any harmful substances from entering your body.
- A countertop filter provides an incredibly convenient way to produce clean, healthy water that costs much less than purchasing bottled water.
- Use of a water filter greatly reduces the risk of colon cancer, rectal cancer, as well as bladder cancer because it removes chlorine and its byproducts from your drinking water.
- Any solid block carbon filter will effectively remove contaminants from your water while still retaining the healthy mineral deposits that serve to balance the natural pH of drinking water.
- Exclusively drinking filtered, clean water protects the body from disease and improves overall health.
- Use of a water filter provides the highest quality water for cooking by simply converting your tap water. It’s convenient and hygienic.
- Use of a water filter reduces the risk of gastrointestinal disease by as much as 33% because it removes cryptosporidium and giardia from your water.
- It’s especially important that children drink pure water, and water filters are the healthiest option for protecting the child’s developing immune system.
- A quality water filter is your last line of defense between your body and the 2100 known toxins that could possibly be present in your drinking water.
- Pretty simple to use. The cartridges fit in the top water well. Pour water in the top water well and it filters down to the cooler. You can dispense water from water cooler.
- Better for the environment since there’s no waste of water to generate drinkable water, unlike Reverse Osmosis filters.
- Eliminates complications of changing filters under the sink.
- Clearly Filtered will take the filters back to recycle!!! Totally awesome!
If you are looking to better your health and offer your family and friends truly clean water at a great price, this is definitely a product and company you want to check out to see if it matches your requirements!